Sunday, January 6, 2008

TIPS OF THE WEEK - Issue 1

TIPS OF THE WEEK - (No Promos this week) - Issue 1

SATELLITE TV AND RADIO INFO

MB Wilson, owner of Wagon Trains RV Tours.com shared this tip with us. For those who own Satellite TV or Satellite Radio, they found a new and very interesting website. It may answer some of your questions on US & Canadian Satellite Service.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WORKING OR ‘VOLUNTEERING’ IN A COUNTRY OTHER THAN YOUR OWN

I recently read a forum post relaying that a Canadian RVer could not cross the border because they told the border agents that they were helping to build ‘Habitat for Humanity Houses’.

At the RV School last summer one of the American instructors was denied entry to Canada the year before because she relayed to Customs that she was presenting a seminar – she was not get paid for the seminar but it did not seem matter to the agents. They considered she was working.

Bottom line is NEVER share with agents at any border that you will be ‘volunteering’ or ‘working – in any way even without pay’ in a country other than your own. They feel you may be taking a job away from a resident. To legally ‘work’ as a non-resident you do need complicated visas. I am not insinuating anyone lie but if you are not being paid for a service it may be wise not to relay your plans.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CAN I WALLPAPER RV WALLS?

Gloria sent me this Q. With more and more RVers hanging onto their rigs longer I thought it might help someone add a face-lift to theirs. “We just purchased a used Class C RV (which is our first) and it needs sprucing up pretty bad. I loved your idea of adding wallpaper. Do you have any suggestions as to how difficult this is? Does it stick well or does it have a tendency to pull loose? One more question. What did you do about the paneling strips (strips that cover wallboard seams) on the wall? Did you cover over them?” Thanks for your help.

MY ANSWER

Gloria: I have WALLPAPERED many walls in our RV's – you just cover the strips as if they are one wall with a continual piece of paper I use ‘vinyl to vinyl’ glue that is designed to secure borders on wallpaper - it will stick for a loooooong time, I wallpaper as normal but I pre-paste the vinyl wallboard with the border glue before I added the wet pre-pasted Wallpaper. It is not difficult but there is more cutting than in a house.

I also have added pre-pasted lightweight FLOOR TILES to my kitchen walls - they look very classy. A few tiles are not sticking as well as I would like but if I add a drop of liquid nail to the corner of the tile it seems to hold better. One tech at Lowe’s suggested I add a primer, which I didn’t do. I began with the wall behind our couch that we removed and then went to the stove area – eventually I did the entire Kitchen. Looks very classy or sure. See pictures of our renovations Here It is also easy to remove the frame of windows so they go over the edge of the tiles or the paper making your update have a 'clean' appearance. We have renovated all our coaches’ big time - they no longer look like a normal RV. A friend added a wall of LONG MIRROR STRIPS (6” wide) behind where her slide came in. It really looked classy – but harder to keep clean. If you want to redecorate, go for it!!! Your RV is home away from home.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

411 NUMBERS – Compliments Of Fulltimer Chapter Newsletter

John: (Diary Reader) shared that the 800–GOOG-411 that I reported last week only works in the USA AND it is only available to locate Business info. Good to know but not as great as I first thought. Sorry for misinformation.

No comments: