Sunday, December 2, 2007

ONE MORE ENJOYABLE WEEK IN SOUTH TEXAS

ONE MORE ENJOYABLE WEEK IN SOUTH TEXAS
Newsy Portion Issue 49

Diary published weekly since 2001

Read alternate version of P&J's Weekly Diary Here

Hi All: What a difference a week makes. Climate is again typical perfect south Texas style November warm days. This has been one more eventful week to say the least. I even celebrated my 66th birthday last Thursday in grand style at the Club Luncheon – more on that event later. I never felt better. So all in all we continue to be very happy to be back in the Rio Grande Valley. There are over 500 wonderful parks in the ‘Valle’ (approximately 50 miles from Mission in the west to southern easterly point of South Padre Island). Resort prices vary from very low (some under $100. per month to a high of $600-$700 per month in Feb). Three main city hubs are McAllen to the west and Harlingen to the east and Brownsville to the south. We are in Alamo near McAllen.

We are loving this area - our closest access to Mexico is to drive to the border and park on the American side at the end of highway 1015 (near Weslaco) – we pay our 25 cents (30 cents to return) and walk across a ¼ mile bridge to a barrage of stores, shops, hair dressers, dentists, health professionals of all types plus numerous more stopping spots. An unending supply of quality bars and restaurants designed to appeal to the American public await to serve you value packed tasty meals at 5-Star level in taste and service – all for discount amounts. Domestic drinks are also a bargain.
____________________

OUR WEEK IN REVIEW

MY BOTOX TREATMENT – This time in Mexico

This week’s high was another trip to Mexico so an ophthalmologist could administer my regular dose of BOTOX. Those new to the Diary may not be aware that I suffer from Benign Essential Blepharospasm (BEB) - this means my eyes blink in spasms if I do not receive Botox injections every 3-months. I carry my costly Botox vial in the freezer – thank God our medical insurance pays for it – cost is about $400. Unfortunately my appointment in Canada was suddenly cancelled just before we left. I am fortunate that I only get eye spasms – some people have them all over their face. If I do not receive my 3-month remedy, my eyes begin to hurt – first in overcast skies and then it worsens in bright sunlight.

I am happy to relay that I found a very qualified Ophthalmologist in Progresso. He performs eye surgery for the entire northern area of eastern Mexico – before he moved to his hometown near the border, he was head of surgery in a major Mexico City hospital. The good part is I only need about 12-14 injection sites to stop the blinking but these kind doctors each include extra shots for the cosmetic procedure. This time he injected in 20 points. Not sure it makes much difference in my image but it feels good to know that I receive value plus treatment for minimal price. His fee – from my pocket was $100. Because I have my own Rx, I may not pay the big bucks for this treatment but it definitely stops my blinking. In February I’ll be back again to see Dr Gonzales for more.

Of course we shopped a bit – I had my eyebrows plucked at Gloria’s ($5.) so they were groomed before my appointment, we topped the day off with another tasty economical gourmet lunch at Garcia’s.
_______________________________________

EXPLORER RV CLUB LUNCHEON

Our first monthly luncheon at Rudy’s BBQ was a most enjoyable success, but unfortunately only 20 of us Club members could make this one – many did not even know about it because some parks did not post our signs as promised. The BBQ choices were tasty, plus socializing with new-found friends from Ontario to Newfoundland added to the enjoyable event. Congratulations Dean on winning the Club T-Shirt. Hopefully I’ll post the pictures on Picassa soon. Sorry we missed those not aware of the event.

We have decided to try to host these events on the last Thursday of each month to simplify things – in a different venue for each one. Next event will be at one of the quality restaurants in Progresso Mx – more on the exact location later. We have to check things out. All Club members and non-members in the Rio Grande are invited to join us.

__________________________________________

THANKS TO ALL THE READERS WHO OFFERED FIREPLACE/BBQ ADVICE

I FINALLY FOUND MY FIREPLACE - FYI on-line prices usually cost less as well and mine will be here on the 11 Dec. RV Living.net is an affiliate with Wal*Mart and if I order through their banners on my site and ship it to the store (to save shipping costs) I receive a 7% discount - I also receive a similar affiliate fee on any of Your purchases if you buy by clicking on one of the banners on RVLiving. Cdn credit cards do not work – nor do sales in CDA but Canadians in the USA. BUT I can buy a gift card at any store and order that way.

Why I couldn' t find any on line was because I was searching for ‘Electrical Fireplaces’ not ‘Fireplaces’. When I put in the right word, a slew of them surfaced. Entering errors in spelling (or not using the correct search words) on the Internet is very unforgiving.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We also send a BIG THANKS FOR THE BBQ ADVICE. Even the propane guy said the warnings are mainly there for liability purposes but although he could see no problem he also said he would not connect to the big tank.
BUT when I logged onto www.marshallbrass.com/outdoor.htm. 269 781 3901/800 447 9513, their website relays that it is safe to use their attachments to regulate flow – which we have been doing all along. If a problem occurs, the adapters reduce the flow of the propane. That is exactly what happened when our hose severed from the BBQ a year ago. What was upsetting us in our search was the info in the brochures of all the new BBQ’s we looked at - it said do NOT connect to motorhomes. I will phone Marshall Brass on Monday to verify – but from our research there should be no problem adding a new portable BBQ of our choice - just another learning curve.
______________________________________________

FINAL THOUGHTS

For most of us life treats us well the majority of the time. But when we hit a bump in the road it sometimes is telling us it is time to slow down a bit – or maybe to change directions. After the dust settles if we take a step back, we can sometimes realize that our forced change of plans are not anywhere as bad as they first seemed. Those who are travelling this winter now or in the next few weeks/months, please travel safe and those staying in the north, we hope the winter is much more mild than is forecasted. May those of us in the south, enjoy a warm winter. As my sister Nancy says, “Do not drive any faster than your Guardian Angel can fly”. Travel safe and take care all P&J

No comments: